Emergency! What now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaylaFlora, Mar 16, 2015.

1. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    This is my first time using an incubator. It's the Brinsea octagon eco 20. I bought a pricey digital hygrometer made in the U.S.A. Per the Brinsea instructions, I've been keeping the humidity level between 40-50% at a steady 44%. The temp is at 99.5 F. Today is day 8.

I candled my eggs last night and have 20 out of 24 "good" ones EXCEPT---- they all have GIANT air sacks!!! Almost a third the size of the entire egg. I am so saddened by this. Does this mean they are all going to die? Will they all have crooked toes? I am so disappointed as I invested major $$$ into this incubator and I could have just used my broody hen like last year.

Is there anything I can do now to prevent a horrible hatch rate?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the air cells are already too big (Can you mark a couple and take a pic and put it up for us?) then you higher your humidity. I'd say if you are already at 40-45 go for 65%. (Has your hygrometer ever been checked for accuracy?) Highering the humidity will slow/stop the eggs from loosing more moisture and give the developement of the chick time to catch up with the development of the air cell. If they aren't like day 18 big then chances are you have time to average it out.

3. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you for your reply! Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it's sideways. Those are some BIG air sacks [​IMG]

I have increased the humidity to 65%.

How do you test the accuracy of a hygrometer? I invested in a good one....I thought....

4. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Those air cells are about the size for day 18, I really don't see how they have grown that quick. However, I would increase the humidity the duration of the hatch to prevent them from growing further as mentioned above. Humidity's key role is air cell growth, so excess humidity in your case should not be an issue. On the bright side, don't expect them to drown during hatching. Keep your hopes up, and do the best you can. Keep us updated!

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Wow! those are big for 8 days! Here is a link for testing the hygrometer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/101416/important-do-you-know-how-to-test-your-hygrometer
    If you still see growth in the air cells after highering the humidity, higher it some more! You really don't want them to keep growing at that rate. Are those your eggs or shipped eggs and are they real porouse?

6. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I know you are new to hatching, but I am in no way trying to insult your intelligence. I took a second glance at your eggs, and a couple appear to have the egg cell marked on the pointed end. I'm looking for the best case scenario, and it's common to candle on the wrong side and get confused. The cell should be on the fat end, can you re-candle and double check that you weren't just seeing the clear fluid in the egg? Thanks.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The silver lining right??

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is a very good point! The really pointed one does look as though it's at the bottom.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    A couple of them are so round it's hard to tell which end is the round end....lol [​IMG]

10. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Correct me if I am wrong but I think you are looking at the wrong end of the egg for your air cells. No possible way air sacks are that big at day 8. I think you are marking the pointy ends that are simply empty right now. Your air sacs will be at the fat end.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by