EMERGENCY WILD BABY CHICK!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MonkeyZero, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Ok

Well I was minding my own buisness while then the door rang. 2 little boys that live down the street.

They had a small box, inside a tiny helpless almost feathered(with down on its but) chick. One boy said that they chased the mom, as she was attacking the chick. There was 2 chicks, but the other chick ran off with the mom. So they captured the lil baby and came here. So then I put it in the coop in a cage in the coop, with a small nest, food and water. It wont eat or drink. It free ranged. Its tail has feathers missing, and its wing feathers seem to be clipped off. It was bleeding, but I put flour on it. It wont eat or drink. ITs sitting in one spot. The mom hen is no where to be found. HELP!!! please

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Keep it warm and stick its beak in the water once to show it where it is. Make sure the chick can't fall in and drown. Put a small stuffed animal in there with it so it can cuddle. How long has it been in your care? It might take a little while to settle down.
    I hope it is alright...[​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Thanks for the [​IMG]

I hope its ok IDK about its age...

ok well here are pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also any guesses on breed?

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    It looks like it might be a boy at some point.....

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    No clue on breed, but I think you should keep it away from your own chickens for a while, like far away - not in the same coop even if in its own cage.

You did good! [​IMG]

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    That chick is at LEAST a couple weeks old based on the feathering, and I'd say up as much as 4 weeks old. Unless there are some other hidden health issues, it should be fine once it figures out where it is and where the food is.

I'd keep it quiet for the night and then see how it is in the morning.

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I cant separate it, stupid dogs attacked it. My baby chicks love it, but not i made a small room in the coop to separate her(guesssing

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    It will get down to 63 F tinight, u think it will be ok

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Is there any place warm to keep it tonight? Or do you have some dry rags or something to make a little nest for it? My chicks were ok outside, and they were younger than yours, but I put a little box with hay in their pen.

I just re-read your first post. You said you made a nest for it - so I think it will be fine at 63 tonight.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  10. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I covered the top with some old washcloth and put in a small pengiun teddy inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by