Emergency with Duckling??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HomesteaderWife, Apr 24, 2017.

1. HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    We have a pair of week old Khaki Campbell ducklings, and today one of them has started acting funny and I was hoping someone here might can give me an idea of whats going on or what to possibly do.

They've been walking and running around fine, but one of them now is acting very lethargic and tired and not being active. It cannot go to the bathroom normally- in the beginning, it would raise it's rear up and backs up a few steps before pooping. Now it does the same thing, nothing comes out, then the poor thing face plants forward or sprawls out and acts like it cannot stand.

I tried to clean the ducklings rear earlier and noticed what appeared to be the rectum puffed out and very red (it was not noticeable on the other duckling). It has since went away, but I am very concerned and don't want something to happen to it. They are eating and drinking fine.Any ideas on what may be happening or what to do? Thank you!

EDIT: 7:35 PM
    Now the duckling is almost appearing to "pass out" in a way after straining to go to the bathroom. It falls forward and just lays there without moving for about 5 seconds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    I've never experienced your problem before, but my instincts tell me I would try polyvisol doses, niacin and maybe try a little warm water from a dropper squirted into his vent. If it were an adult i would check the vent for blockages but at 1 week you'd be very likely to due serious harm, so maybe just a warm water from dropper anema. Also for the swelling you might try a cloth or cotton ball with apple-cider vinegar and a warm bath with epsom salt. Good luck! Please let us know how it works out!

Edit/PS: search for duckling swollen vent on these forums, this one looked particularly helpful.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/339444/5wk-chick-having-trouble-pooping-red-swollen-vent-help

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. HomesteaderWife

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    Well here is what's happening today- still no bowel movements and the vent is now white. A warm bath helped the duckling perk up a little and finally got it to eat some after that. Thank you for the help on this, I'm going to try and see what I can do to help this poor baby feel better.

4. cyriuskee

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    I sure hope the poor little thing gets better

5. HomesteaderWife

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    Lost the duckling around 11 this evening...we tried to clean the area off but no luck. Lots of swelling to the stomach area just about thirty minutes before the sweet thing passed. Very sad evening here

6. cyriuskee

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    Awww I'm so sorry to hear about your baby duckling. I hope you 9u can find another friend for the one remaining.
    All the best wishes
    D

7. HomesteaderWife

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    As a positive, the last duckling has made good friends with three little chickens who were a week older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by