EMERGENCY - Young Roo Attacked by Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaidenShade, Nov 29, 2014.

1. MaidenShade

MaidenShade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    We put 2 young roos (4+ months) in with the hens thinking they were old enough to integrate them into the flock. The hens attacked them during the night or this morning and my favorite, Snoot, is hurt real bad. We have him in a cage inside, but he's having trouble breathing (like his nostrils are plugged, there was blood from them), they pecked his neck, head and face, and one eye is closed. Fidget is not hurt as bad and is still outside with the other chickens.

When he was up, he did drink electrolite water (for 10 minutes straight he drank, a lot of it runs down his chest and just dribbles all over). He took a couple of pecks at some food but he is obviously extremely injured as he is unsteady on his feet, his eye is swollen shut (might be damaged, we can't tell) and mouth-breathing. It hurts him to touch him so I don't want to try to clean him off.

We mixed antibiotics in with his mash, but he really isn't interested in eating.

Any suggestions?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Take the other rooster out of the coop. They will probably turn on him next. Pictures of the injuries would help us. Meanwhile his wounds need to be cleaned and antibiotic ointment put on them. Some eye ointment may help his eye. As long as he is drinking don't worry about him not eating today. Keep him warm . Shock can kill him. Do you have him in the house with you?

3. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    TY for answering, I am so upset. Yes, he is in the house in a kennel right next to me. I'll take some photos. If he is going to die anyway, I hate to hurt him further by washing his comb.

We left a message for a vet who supposedly treats chickens, but haven't gotten a reply yet. The others we called in our area don't treat chickens.

4. enola

If most of the damage is on his comb, in my opinion he wont need to see a vet. The first thing the vet is going to do is clean any wounds. Cleaning his comb may cause him some discomfort, but nothing like the discomfort from an infection setting in.

5. enola

Did you take the other rooster out of the pen yet?

6. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    Yes - he has a cut and his leg is hurt [​IMG] so now they are both in. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Snoot is still having trouble breathing. They both have eaten, drank, and are resting. These pictures don't really show much I'm afraid.

7. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    just saw you had 2 posts - Regarding the vet - I'm most concerned about his eye and his breathing, but they never called back anyway.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  8. enola

Have you cleaned the wounds to see the damage yet?

9. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for asking.

As best we could, we did - I used warm salt water and then we slathered vetericyn on. We are giving oral antibiotics and electrolytes and I am holding up food for them and they are eating well. If they are alive and better in the morning, I am going to give them a soaking bath in Epsons salt water. I think that will ease the one with the hurt leg. I tried to feel around for what is hurt on the leg, but couldn't determine it.

The wounds are concentrated on their poor heads, eyes, by the ear - It is just so difficult to clean those areas. We will get some baby aspirin and give them that, too.

The one who is breathing with his mouth open seems like he is wheezing a little, too. I don't know if the hens damaged his throat or what, I can't tell. He seems to breathe kind of shallow, then gasp with his beak wide open. He eats fine it seems, but drinking he dribbles it down his front.

10. MaidenShade

Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by