1. babychickenn

babychickenn New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Last week one of my baby chicks[​IMG] got in a fight with a hen while i was not home. She tore his beak off (the top was completely ripped off while the bottom is dangling) I have taken him to a vet only to hear that nothing can be done. I have been hand feeding him with a syringe but yesterday he started acting a little odd (he has been fine up to now). He won't stand up and he moves his head up and down slowly (as if he is having trouble breathing) Does anyone know what I can do for him?

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I'm afraid that without expensive beak reconstruction surgery (which wouldn't be possible until the chick matures, and there aren't a lot of places where they do that) there is not much you can do... from my experience head dropping could be sign of fatigue from pain and injury. I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm afraid your options are very limited.

3. babychickenn

babychickenn New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Do you know of anything that can ease the pain? When i feed him and give him water he still eats and drinks, my main concern is the pain right now.

4. br0nc0

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Apart from morphine or some sort of painkillers in smaller dosage I don't know what could, but the problem lies in the long term future. Chickens with partially broken/missing beaks can eat and survive, I'm not sure how your chicken could do that (not quite sure they could put on prosthetic beak since there's nothing to screw it on) so unless you are planning to feed it for the rest of it's life that could be a problem.

5. babychickenn

babychickenn New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    I actually am planning to hand feed him for as long as he lives

6. br0nc0

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well then I guess your vet could provide you something for the pain and perhaps some antibiotics to prevent/cure infection it might get from the injury. Best of luck to you and the chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by