Emergency!!!!

HomeMaker21

Chirping
May 21, 2021
My friend found this chick when taking in her garbage can. They live in the city where no one is allowed to have chickens. I have 6 baby bantams about the same age as this chick she found. Can I rescue it and add it to my flock? I know it may not be a bantam like mine but I don't want her to die in the cold, alone and scared. I need advice on what to do and fast!

newchick_2.jpg

Set it up in it's own brooder, easiest w a tub, cut a side hole and screw in some hardware cloth, and pop a light in the top w another hole. Chick feed, etc and you'll be fine. Just slowly introduce it in 30 days.

You'll need to set up a proper quarantine for at least 30 days. Also consider whether the chance it's healthy outweighs the chance it brings something in that will devastate your flock.
Thanks, any idea what kind of chicken it is?

Attachments

• newchick.jpg
    newchick.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 8
Looks like a red sex link. Chicks are less likely to have spreadable diseases since they’ve been exposed to less than adult chickens.
Thanks, I think it is a male and since he is a standard size chicken, I found him a better home with a chicken mama who has years of experience. I want to give him the best chance at life.

Thanks, I think it is a male and since he is a standard size chicken, I found him a better home with a chicken mama who has years of experience. I want to give him the best chance at life.
Doesn’t look like a cockerel to me. At least, I see no signs of it in that picture. Also, if it is a red sex link, it would definitely be a pullet (RSL cockerels are a different color).

Back
Top Bottom