Emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RLeschnik, Mar 14, 2013.

1. RLeschnik

RLeschnik Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Bargo
    Penelope
    11 day old chicken.
    Querry hen.
    RIR.
    Bought from hatchery as fertalised egg.
    13 other chickens bought from same hatcher.
    All others appear to be healthy to date.

Symptoms:
    Drowsy.
    Remains eating and drinking well.
    Watery faeces.
    Ataxic movements.
    Walking backwards.
    Curvature of neck and head pointing towards the ground. Seems unable to look up on own without assistance.

Onset of symptoms two days ago.
    Worsening of above symtoms over 24 hours.
    Penelopes symptoms for the last 24 hours have remained the same.

[​IMG]
    Photo of penelope.

Unsure of diagnosis.
    Unsure of what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    get her corid as soon as possiable! it looks like coccidosis corid will kill ALL strains of cocci while other meds only kill some. please look up coccidosis and remember you don't necessairly have to have the bloody stool yet for cocci that comes later.please hurry with her corid. you mix with water.you might have to give her eyedropper with water and meds if she is not drinking on her own. i wish you the best of luck! please treat her as soon as you can. i believe there are 9 strains of cocci. corid kills them all. i do Hope she gets well! good wishes.

3. RLeschnik

Feb 10, 2013
    Bargo
    Thankyou for your reply. I will look into coccidosis and obtaining corid. Though all of my young birds are fed a medicated fed mix.

Penelope hasnt lost any weight. At the moment she appears to be growing well. She has what appears to be a good body structure. Her feathers are growing out and are smooth. Her stools havent been bloody. They appear to be a watered brown at times.

I querry if she may have a electrolyte imbalance. Thiamine, folic acid or a vitamin d deficiency?

4. HeltsleyHen

HeltsleyHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Realsis helped us too - so glad she monitors the site and gives newbies like me good advice! We were seeing the same symptoms (lost one chick before we even knew she was really sick!) and saved another one that was very ill. The symptoms are the same with the exception of our chicks had stopped eating and drinking and I had to dropper feed for 24 hours. Since we started the Corid dose in the water we have seen back to normal activity improvement in the whole flock as of today (two full days on Corid). I too was not sure about Cocci since some of our babies didn't have bloody/pink tinted poo but the more I studied and read up on it that is not always the case. The oocysts can attack in many different areas of the digestive track and affect different birds in slightly different ways. Good luck with your baby!

5. RLeschnik

Feb 10, 2013
    Bargo
    Thankyou everyone for your posts. Sadly it was a neurological condition. We consulted with a vet. Sadly she was put to sleep on their advice.

6. HeltsleyHen

HeltsleyHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Oh, so sorry about your baby! You did everything you could. ;-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by