EMERGENCY!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luckyducky, Aug 12, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Can someone please give me some advice? Our Dachshound attacked one of my buff orps. Her skin of her neck is torn off, exposing her ligaments and muscle, I am not sure if she will survive the night, but, is there anything I can do for her?
    PLease help!

2. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Ohmigosh! I can't be any help, I hope you get some advice soon! Hope it goes well!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Clean the wound with saline solution, then smear on an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin.

Keep her in a dark warm place to prevent shock.

Make sure she has access to food, give some aspirin disolved in water for pain.

4. luckyducky

Jun 10, 2008
    How much aspirin?

I have baby aspirin only
    80 mg

5. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Aspirin - no idea about a chicken, but a small cat gets 1/2 of a child's aspirin every other day for arthritis. You might do a search, there is probably a thread somewhere on byc that gives things like that.

6. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I can't remember right off, I think it was 1 regular aspirin per qt of water, but you'll need someone to verify that.

You'll get better responses faster if you post this in the emergencies/injuries section.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    5 plain aspirin to a gallon of water.

8. luckyducky

Jun 10, 2008
    You are correct, I should have posted this in chicken emergencies, thought I was, I am kind of shaken up, this just happened before I posted.
    I have mixed the baby aspirin with a couple cups of water, but, she isn't drinking ( no surprise there I guess). I have her in the bathroom and if she survives I guess she will be there until she heals, I have seen what chickens do to other chickens when they see blood.
    This is our wildest chicken, not at all friendly, if she makes it, I am sure she will be much friendlier, considering the amount of hands on she will get.

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I had a hen that got caught on a fence and tore the skin off of her neck, I was afraid I'd have to put her down, but treated her as I described above and the skin grew back and she is doing fine now.

Hope yours fares as well. [​IMG]

10. luckyducky

Jun 10, 2008
    well, Saffron our chicken is still alive, but, she isn't eating [​IMG]
    I know she is traumatized, I just hope she pulls out of it. I was thinking last night, I could suture her neck together, ( just took my suture class 2 weeks ago, getting loads of practice!) but, I figured that would be even more traumatic for her, and I know she can heal by secondary intention. Just wanted to let youall know, thanks for the help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by