1. motherhenfran

motherhenfran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My black australorp 8 week old chick with the strange poops (very large 4-6 inches long 1 inch wide) has begun to sneeze and cough and wheeze. My vet recommended returning her to the farm I got her from IMMEDIATELY. It is located 90mins away from me and I'm sure they will kill her anyway. Would it be best to just take her to my local humane society and have them euthanize her? It breaks my heart to type this and I've iny had her for two weeks but I don't want her to suffer.

The vet refused to see her because she was afraid she would spread her disease to other birds in the clinic. Should I trust my vet and euthanize her or get a second opinion?

I'm crunched for time and would love any response

2. newchickincoop

newchickincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    I'm so sorry and I am new but didn't want you to be alone in this.. Did the vet say what she suspected it to be? You can always try to isolate her with heat and give her antibiotics and vitamins and see what happens :(
    So sorry

3. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    I also am unsure but maybe.she's backed up and dehydrated I would try giving it vitamin water and plain yogurt it gives them good bacteria and.helps cleans them inside

4. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    @newchickincoop unfortunately I had to euthanize her :( I called three different vets and an emergency pet hospital and they refused to see her because they thought she had Newcastle disease and would spread it. My primary chicken vet agreed to let me bring her in to put her down and she realized she had some sort of virus that took over her respiratory and digestive system. I could have tried to bring her back with meds but she was so sick it mostlikely would not have worked and would have just prolonged her suffering and also infected my entire flock. My other chick and rooster that comes in at night are on meds to keep the infection away. Very sad day over here but I'd rather sacrifice one little one instead of getting the entire flock deathly ill

5. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Well u did the right thing and it won't suffer anymore so sad tho

6. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Yes I understand ... I am so sorry it is never easy ...

7. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    @Rachele anne @newchickincoop Ya unfortunately she had to be put down. It was a risk to my whole flock (I have 5 others who are almost 8 months old and I've raised them since birth and am extremely attached so it would have been beyond heartbreaking to lose them all.

I tried ACV in the water many times and gatorade in the water to help her and provided fresh greens and fruits to help her digestion but she never was interested.

Also something strange-- when I would let her in the yard to get acquainted with the larger hens she would basically go into attack mode when any of them came around. Flapping her wings and charging them if they came too close. My dad suggested she was probably aware she was sick and didn't want to be bothered by anyone.

Poor little thing. I'll keep you all posted once I get the necroscopy results back

8. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you all for the support too. It's always tough losing one

9. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Yes that is odd behavior but makes sense what your dad said. And thanks for sharing and updating it does help all of us out here too.

10. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss, always sad when you can't do anything to help...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by