Emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by edwin559, Jan 6, 2015.

1. edwin559

edwin559 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    One of my chicks hatched late and the mother hen abandoned it. What can I do to help it?[​IMG]

2. RulingTheRoost

RulingTheRoost Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    Immediately bring the chick inside.

Make sure to put a heat lamp on for a heat source for your baby. You could either use a 250 watt red heat bulb, or a little less wattage while bulb, since there is no danger of cannibalism. That way, she/he won't freeze to death, since it's wintertime and cooler everywhere anyway. I'm assuming you might have a brooder from raising the chicks that grew into you mama bird, but if not, a cardboard box will do for now.

The yolk will sustain it for a few days, but after a few hours make sure to dip its beak in some water. Not too far-- you don't want to cover up its nostrils.

Tomorrow, put a bit of chick starter on a paper towel on it's brooder. Make sure it's up and walking by then.

Try not to handle it too much since he/she is brand new.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your baby chick!! :)

3. RulingTheRoost

RulingTheRoost Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    Also-- I doubt the mother bird will take it back if she has already rejected it, so the best thing for it would be to treat it as you would a chicken hatched from an incubator.

I really hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by