Emerging Primaries and pokey leading edges of wings?

That was instructive. Thank you. I watched another video that came up on youtube when I watched the one you sent and this one makes me even more confident that this is not an EMERGENCY but something that needs to be watched and then corrected once it is fully diagnosed.

Here is the video that is easing my nerves a bit, it is a goose again, but it looks like it works.

Thank you all for being here for this old duck daddy! :old
I have watched that one too. I love the idea with the t shirt. . but would never work on the little call ducks I have :lol:

These are my opinions and lessons learned on early duck growth and feed. Take it for what it is worth.

Mazuri Waterfowl feeds (any other feed is not a guaranteed protein content for waterfowl like the Mazuri feeds.

2 weeks of starter, then switch to maintenance cut with scratch to reduce protein even further. This is for ducks that live on water, like mine as they get plenty of protein if the pond environment is healthy.

First sign of a droopy wing - WRAP IT.

My duckling did not have angel wing, it had a deformity in the joints (according to the vet) said they could feel the joint problem it was that bad. Had I wrapped it first post or seen a vet, No problem.

The duckling comes back today from rehab. They got the right joint corrected because of the different growth rates on each side of the duckling, wrap comes off this morning on the left side and they are bringing her back this afternoon.

I'll post pictures when she gets back.

All my other ducks are pond bosses now. They spend all day free range in the pond and then put themselves to bed at night in their pen.

Peace.

Interesting.trouble your vet told you it was caused from too much protein?
Also I was under the impression that Angel wing was a joint deformity. . did he explained what the difference is then?

yes, angel wing is a joint deformity and this is most likely what she was talking about, kind of confusing really, I almost felt like she was saying that the split in the joint causing angel wing happens and can set before the onset of full tilt angel wing if the protein content is too high or the growth rate of the duckling is abnormally fast causing to much blood in the leading tip prior to the emergence of the pin feathers ready to accept that blood.

The main take away I got, wrap at first signs no matter age of duck or what you might think. 24-48 hours of wrap at first sign settles the problem easily.

Just passing on what the person doing the rehab on the duckling says.

Peace

yes, angel wing is a joint deformity and this is most likely what she was talking about, kind of confusing really, I almost felt like she was saying that the split in the joint causing angel wing happens and can set before the onset of full tilt angel wing if the protein content is too high or the growth rate of the duckling is abnormally fast causing to much blood in the leading tip prior to the emergence of the pin feathers ready to accept that blood.

The main take away I got, wrap at first signs no matter age of duck or what you might think. 24-48 hours of wrap at first sign settles the problem easily.

Just passing on what the person doing the rehab on the duckling says.

Peace
That is useful information. It seems to me like a darned if you do and a darned if you don't situation. The first batch of ducklings I had I started with a game bird/show bird type feed and it was really high protein. But only one of them got Angel wing so I don't know if that caused it or not. The second batch I just used a meat bird feed I think it was 20% with No I'll effects.
I just have to wonder if there isn't more of a genetic predisposition for it than it is what they eat. And like you said, if protein is the issue it's also it's going to depend on how much They have access to outdoors as well with worms and bugs. . hum. :hmm
Glad you got your little guy rehabilitated in time :)

the feed issue is what baffled me. i had many long discussions with the rehab person and they said that most likely the flaw is genetic but shows up in varying degrees within a single brood. Some may have the trait others may not.

All my other ducks are perfect, one was a little floppy for two days, but pulled it in and never looked back.

I still don't have her back yet, so I do not know if she is cured. I am so anxious to get her back with her mates.

Baffles me also. I read a lot of internet articles about it when I was dealing with mine. (Of course you never know what's accurate info and what's not.)
But there are so many articles posted about ducks and geese at parks developing Angel wing from people feeding them bread. The theory is that these birds come to rely on the hand outs and do not consume enough nutritional food.
Ok. .I can understand that But bread isn't high in protein. . . then you turn around and read that Angel wing is caused by high protein levels. . isn't that just the opposite of what they claim is happening in parks and such? Makes no sense to moi. :rolleyes:

095C81D6-154B-49EE-9899-48E909DCB922.jpeg

it was not fixed. They poke out a bit after 48 hours of wrap.

Go figure. I think I am going to try and wrap it some more. The rehab person said they did all they could. Not sure I am going to accept it, maybe bad rehab days for that person. Guess, I need to give my try at wrapping again, which I suck at.

I am kind of confused as I see ducks on youtube with obvious BAD angel wing getting corrected at older ages than this female. So what give? Anyone? Bueller? Chickens Really?

Back
Top Bottom