Emerging rooster maturity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I was wondering...leading up to a rooster mating, what kinds of behavior should I notice? My roo is 6+ months old, just started crowing this week. I've noticed some extra aggressive behavior from him. Couple times, on a couple different hens, he would come up from the side and grab a hold of feathers, pretty nasty like, behind their heads. I've seen a few feathers fly. However, no jumping up on them. Is this a pre-mating behavior I'm seeing? We check our eggs, and none have been fertilized yet.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is pre-competent pre-mating behavior. Your description suggests he is trying to have his way with ladies but is not yet able to impress them with his pre-copulatory behaviors into submitting and they are not willing yet. Some of the mating behavior does not become functional until he matures a little more. First he will be successful in forcing himself on females then he will begin to court properly with vocalizations and "cutting his wing".

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Interesting. Ok...He's been very quiet, vocally and physically until this week, when he finally started these pitiful, scratchy half crows. He'll only rip 3 or 4 as I go out to let them into the run in the morning, and then nothing the rest of the day. That's also when the aggression usually is. He'll do that to a few hens, then seemingly calm down and have breakfast. I don't see any other aggression or roo behavior the rest of the day. Very strange, this bird. Late bloomer, from what I've read lately. Was starting to think HE wasn't sure what he was [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:That's a great thread, thanks! Very entertaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by