Emery board for crossed beak

MH37125

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2016
New Mexico
Can I file my hens top beak down far enough to wear it does not curl down beside the lower beak? Or is that too much? I'd like to try and help her before I make the decision to cull her to see if it helps. I have large clippers and dog nail trimmers but am scared I would cut it back too far.

I personally wouldn't recommend trimming and/or filing that much beak away. From the looks of the photos, it seems as though cutting or filing that far would make contact with blood vessels and nerves, which would be a very painful and messy experience for you and your bird.

If you don't have any special attachment to the bird, I would cull her, especially if you plan on breeding any of your chickens. However, if she's more of a pet than anything and you don't plan on hatching chicks from her, I'm pretty sure there's a special "club" of sorts somewhere here on BYC for owners of crossbeaks. It gives feeding tips and other helpful information on how to make your crossbeak's life as normal as possible.

~Gresh~

Thank you for your reply Gresh :) I was afraid of that. They are pets but not exactly "attached" to any of them. She's only 4 months old so I wanted her to live awhile. I will check out the group you mentioned and see how it goes, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom