Emotional Rollercoaster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ruckusred, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Ruckusred

Ruckusred In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2018
    My husband and I decided to start a backyard flock this year (we just got married and moved into a new house this past October.) This was to be my project, and I settled on getting 6 Cream Legbar chicks from Greenfire Farms. I promptly bought feed, grit, waterers, feeder, and began researching different brooders and coops. I got a Brinsea warmer, and got everything set up in anticipation of their arrival. Then a snowstorm. Shipment delayed - of course! Don’t ship them in that weather.
    Rescheduled shipment date comes, and another snowstorm. Since the last time I called Greenfire, and emailed, I got no response, just a form email saying the shipment was rescheduled, I assumed they’d delay again. Disappointed but I wanted the chicks to be safe. I was surprised, then, when I got a tracking number saying they would be here the next morning.
    They were not, in fact, and did not come in for another 2 days. I had ordered 6, 11 were shipped, and 9 arrived.
    Cue the death song.
    Over the next few hours and days, 3 more perished, and I’m not sure exactly why. I had also gotten 5 bantams from Tractor Supply when I thought my original 6 were going to die in transit, and all of those died.
    Out of the 11+5, I have 6. And today a chick appears on her way out with a large mass on her left lower side.

This is terrible.

Teila, 007Sean, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean and Joeschooks like this.
  3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot I'm sorry for your losses :hugs

4. Ruckusred

Ruckusred In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2018
    Yup, all the ones from TSC dropped within 48 hours. Feed was milled within the past 3 weeks. Brooder is about 90 degrees.

5. TomZilla43

TomZilla43 Songster

Apr 23, 2017
    White House, TN
    :welcome. Well dang what a tough start to chicken keeping:(. So sorry for your losses, but so glad you could join us. Hope that things take a turn for the best with your remaining chicks:fl.

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome-tweety-300-farmer-c.gif

I am sorry you had to go through that!

Shipping stress causes organ damage--usually kidney. It takes up to three days for them to build up uric acid to toxic levels.

Since the kidneys are dead, there is not much you can do

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So very sorry for your losses, mixups like this happen often even to experienced Chicken folk. Recently a BYCER's order got sent to the Bermuda triangle or somewhere similar, came back days later and all but one of the chicks had perished.When she went to the post office to pick them up - the clerk was holding his nose . She said you could smell the dead chicks as soon as you walked in the door.

007Sean, Joeschooks and ronott1 like this.
  8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frowHello and :welcome I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your chicks :(

ronott1 and 007Sean like this.
  9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BY! :)

ronott1 likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Ruckusred :frow Welcome!

Chick Sympathy.jpg

ronott1 and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: