Emotional Rollercoaster

Ruckusred

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2018
My husband and I decided to start a backyard flock this year (we just got married and moved into a new house this past October.) This was to be my project, and I settled on getting 6 Cream Legbar chicks from Greenfire Farms. I promptly bought feed, grit, waterers, feeder, and began researching different brooders and coops. I got a Brinsea warmer, and got everything set up in anticipation of their arrival. Then a snowstorm. Shipment delayed - of course! Don’t ship them in that weather.
Rescheduled shipment date comes, and another snowstorm. Since the last time I called Greenfire, and emailed, I got no response, just a form email saying the shipment was rescheduled, I assumed they’d delay again. Disappointed but I wanted the chicks to be safe. I was surprised, then, when I got a tracking number saying they would be here the next morning.
They were not, in fact, and did not come in for another 2 days. I had ordered 6, 11 were shipped, and 9 arrived.
Cue the death song.
Over the next few hours and days, 3 more perished, and I’m not sure exactly why. I had also gotten 5 bantams from Tractor Supply when I thought my original 6 were going to die in transit, and all of those died.
Out of the 11+5, I have 6. And today a chick appears on her way out with a large mass on her left lower side.

This is terrible.

My husband and I decided to start a backyard flock this year (we just got married and moved into a new house this past October.) This was to be my project, and I settled on getting 6 Cream Legbar chicks from Greenfire Farms. I promptly bought feed, grit, waterers, feeder, and began researching different brooders and coops. I got a Brinsea warmer, and got everything set up in anticipation of their arrival. Then a snowstorm. Shipment delayed - of course! Don’t ship them in that weather.
Rescheduled shipment date comes, and another snowstorm. Since the last time I called Greenfire, and emailed, I got no response, just a form email saying the shipment was rescheduled, I assumed they’d delay again. Disappointed but I wanted the chicks to be safe. I was surprised, then, when I got a tracking number saying they would be here the next morning.
They were not, in fact, and did not come in for another 2 days. I had ordered 6, 11 were shipped, and 9 arrived.
Cue the death song.
Over the next few hours and days, 3 more perished, and I’m not sure exactly why. I had also gotten 5 bantams from Tractor Supply when I thought my original 6 were going to die in transit, and all of those died.
Out of the 11+5, I have 6. And today a chick appears on her way out with a large mass on her left lower side.

This is terrible.
welcome-tweety-300-farmer-c.gif

I am sorry you had to go through that!

Shipping stress causes organ damage--usually kidney. It takes up to three days for them to build up uric acid to toxic levels.

Since the kidneys are dead, there is not much you can do

So very sorry for your losses, mixups like this happen often even to experienced Chicken folk. Recently a BYCER's order got sent to the Bermuda triangle or somewhere similar, came back days later and all but one of the chicks had perished.When she went to the post office to pick them up - the clerk was holding his nose . She said you could smell the dead chicks as soon as you walked in the door.

I'm so sorry that was your first experience with chicks. I hope it won't discourage you from enjoying the chicks you do have or from getting more in the future.

Don't know if it helps or not, but my first time getting chicks went badly too (4 out of 7 died in the first 2 weeks of having them). The remaining 3 were terrific girls and I was so lucky to have them.

Make yourself at home here and if there's anything we can do to help, just post. There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly members here to help each other out.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom