Emotional support after putting a special chicken down.

Moongaze247

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
As of yesterday, I had a very special chicken (rooster), Trooper, who we raised from incubation to 18 weeks. At two months he mysteriously broke his leg (compound fracture) which I kept clean and splinted, no infection. I cared for him in my home for 2 1/2 months but the healthy leg began to show signs of being swollen.....the point is, it was time to put him down because though we had a special relationship, he could never be put back in a flock due to his particular conditions. This was my first time doing the chop method. Trooper is at peace now but my heart goes out to him because my first swing of the hatchet hit his head, in front of the ear but like side/top of head, cut deep then I did a quick second chop and the head/body was severed. My heart hurts and I wanted to see your thoughts if that blow to the head could have killed him instantly or at least knocked him unconscious? It was only a second or two before I did the second chop then I picked up the head and he was gone (checked the eyes). Again, do you think the accident blow to the head could have knocked him unconscious or even killed him instantly? It was my first time.

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
(((Hugs))) I'm certain the first blow put him out of his misery.
Being a responsible owner comes with making decisions that are best for the animal, putting their well being above your selfish want to keep them alive so you did what a responsible owner would do in that situation.🌈🌉

WindingRoad

Songster
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
As of yesterday, I had a very special chicken (rooster), Trooper, who we raised from incubation to 18 weeks. At two months he mysteriously broke his leg (compound fracture) which I kept clean and splinted, no infection. I cared for him in my home for 2 1/2 months but the healthy leg began to show signs of being swollen.....the point is, it was time to put him down because though we had a special relationship, he could never be put back in a flock due to his particular conditions. This was my first time doing the chop method. Trooper is at peace now but my heart goes out to him because my first swing of the hatchet hit his head, in front of the ear but like side/top of head, cut deep then I did a quick second chop and the head/body was severed. My heart hurts and I wanted to see your thoughts if that blow to the head could have killed him instantly or at least knocked him unconscious? It was only a second or two before I did the second chop then I picked up the head and he was gone (checked the eyes). Again, do you think the accident blow to the head could have knocked him unconscious or even killed him instantly? It was my first time.
Try to turn off the audio and video of the tape running through your mind. You helped him to Rainbow Bridge. That's a act of love and compassion. He's watching over you. Try to let go of these thoughts. God Bless.

Moongaze247

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
A blow to the head is usually fatal when it comes to chickens. You did the right thing by putting him down and he suffers no more.
I've culled quite a few birds over the years for one reason or another, and it NEVER gets easier and they are almost always favorites.
Thank You.

Moongaze247

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
Try to turn off the audio and video of the tape running through your mind. You helped him to Rainbow Bridge. That's a act of love and compassion. He's watching over you. Try to let go of these thoughts. God Bless.
Ok, thank you. You are right.

Moongaze247

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
(((Hugs))) I'm certain the first blow put him out of his misery.
Being a responsible owner comes with making decisions that are best for the animal, putting their well being above your selfish want to keep them alive so you did what a responsible owner would do in that situation.🌈🌉
Thank You. I put him down, myself, because I knew it was best for him and that was Love. He knew everyday he was safe because he had me. I received much joy through his life.

Top Bottom