Emotional Support...Chicken(s)?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MaddiesMum, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

For anyone that knows anything about ESA (Emotional Support Animals) I was just wondering, could a chicken be considered an ESA? I know the differences between Service Animals and ESA.

What if chickens are not allowed in a certain area? Would an ESA be exempt from that?

I'm sure theres some process with getting an ESA, anybody been through it? What steps are taken?

2. blythspirit

blythspirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Beautiful PNW
    I know out here that any animal that is to even try to qualify has to be 'potty trained' and not a contamination threat to any other environment or person. I think that lets out the possibility of chickens. Say you brought your ES Chicken into a grocery store, or even to the office. You touch your chicken you touch to apples or whatever. The next person comes along and touches the apples..and has a compromised immune system due to age or illness. Now that person who had no 'dog in the fight' is sick, the store is sued and you are somewhat liable. It is the law here to accommodate people with service animals but they can pose no hazard to others who my also have special concerns.

3. MaddiesMum

I don't believe EMA have the same public exemptions that service animals do, so a EMA would not be allowed in a store anyhow. I think their only exemptions are for airline flights and for housing rentals where pets are not usually permitted.
    It definitely is something to consider though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I say, give it a shot! I'd do they same, if they come back to me and tell me to get rid of my girls. I just love them, and they are so relaxing to watch. Just because they aren't dogs, they are still important to us.

5. MaddiesMum

exactly!
    Most people see chickens as, well, just chickens.. birds that walk around and peck stuff. But man, once you get to know them, and form a bond, it's incredible <3

6. pip.ster

pip.ster New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    My city does not allow chickens, but I can't deal living here without them. I get depressed.
    I don't need to take them anywhere. I just want them at home. I get all the bad things without them here. There are bugs and wasted food to get rid of. They are part of my DNA.

No need to take to grocery store. I just want them in my yard.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you wanted one or two for house pets, you may be able to get by with it. Check out the "people with house chickens " thread. My friend has had house chickens over the past 25 years, usually silkies or other bantams like seramas.
    Seramas, one of the smallest breeds, originated in Malaysia to be house pets. Some one could easily take them as some kind of parrot. Seramas especially take confinement well.

8. pip.ster

pip.ster New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    I had seramas. They were delightful. There is just one neighbor that can't seem to cotton to the idea that I have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by