Emotionally weak - pet ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jendarwin, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jendarwin

jendarwin Songster

Dec 24, 2016
    I need a lot of advices from youll. I’m no duck expert but Iv been raising two beautiful ducks for a year now. They are pet ducks and love them to bits. I had to be away on a trip for two weeks and send them to a foster home. The entire trip I was regretting and wanted to see them soon. I got back and to my surprise they did recognise me but did not want to leave the foster home. It’s day 2 now and I see them not liking our place. They weren’t the same they were before. They are always by themselves and refuse to bond.
    I did ask the foster lady if she would like to adopt to them as they live it there more and she has refused. I give them a lot of treats and trying to get them back.
    Question is: what should I do? Should I give them sometime to get use to us again or should I relocate them to a farm with other ducks?

Please help me

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Ducktown

Ducktown Songster

May 8, 2017
    They will adapt to their old home again. Ducks like a lot of space to roam around freely and if that was the case in their foster home, they liked it better. Ducks adapt quickly. They will accept you again. I was away from home for 2 weeks+, and my imprinted drake remembered me. They started refusing to go to their coop while I was gone though and I couldn't get them go in again, not without a 'fight'.
    Drake was a bit reserved for a day or two and went back to normal soon after. I think you should wait a bit longer and see how it goes. Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I agree it will take them some time to adapt again but TLC and lots of treats should warm their hearts.

Mama Runner, DwayneNLiz and jendarwin like this.
  4. jendarwin

jendarwin Songster

Dec 24, 2016
    Thank you so much. I also found my female pekin duck moving her body while breathing. She moved her tail up and down while she’s sitting to sleep. This is weird to me. Haven’t seen this before. Is it normal?

5. Miss Lydia

How is she other wise? eating drinking ? May just be her or does she lay? maybe she is getting ready to lay an egg.

jendarwin likes this.
  6. jendarwin

jendarwin Songster

Dec 24, 2016
    She’s been laying. But laid soft eggs last two days. I was also thinking she was going to lay, but today after she laid her soft egg I still found her doing that and makes noise while breathing.

7. Ducktown

Ducktown Songster

May 8, 2017
    There's another egg coming, I'm sure. You can offer her a bath if she doesn't lay it soon. If not already, give her access to crushed egg shells or oyster shells. She needs additional calcium.

jendarwin likes this.
  8. jendarwin

jendarwin Songster

Dec 24, 2016
    She does have oyster shells everyday. I thought she was stressed with all the fostering home and everything when she laid soft eggs. She eats and drinks well. Plays at times too. I’m not able upload a video.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Do you have human calcium you can use it too just mix in thawed peas or in a small amount of water.

Duck town is right, sounds like she maybe having some egg laying issue and hopefully the extra calcium will help clear it up.

DwayneNLiz and jendarwin like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Sometimes they just need some extra calcium when laying softshell. And your probably right she maybe stressed from moving back home they don't like change at all. Hopefully soon things will be back to normal

jendarwin likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: