Empordanesas? Anybody have info on these?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emvickrey, Apr 5, 2011.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I aquired some Empordanesas eggs from a somebody and I've looked them up but can't find any good info on the breed except they're rare. I'm looking for the size of the bird such as a general weight, heardiness, temperment, etc. The eggs I got are huge. According to one site I looked at says they lay from a small to medium brown egg. I'm confused.

I'm hoping somebody can fill me in on this breed.

Anybody?

2. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    What color are the eggs? I don't know anything about them, just curious. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're the white version of Penedesencas. They should be white with a side spring on each side of the back of their comb and lay DARK brown eggs, not just a normal brown. [​IMG] They are indeed very rare.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:The eggs I got vary between light brown to medium brown. Those are the jumbo eggs. The dark brown ones are a large size. They're in the incubator or I would post pics of them. I have 3 incubators full of different breeds so I would be hard to show which where which. The eggs where marked by the person I got them from.

Are these large birds? Anybody know anything else about them? They're due to hatch around the 21st.

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    They are cousins to the penedesenca & from what I have heard have red earlobs, not like penedesencas which have white earlobes.

They lay about a brown - terrocotta egg, & are just as wild / skiddish as Penedesencas from what I hear.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I just acquired some. wonderful birds. skittish yes but not to bad. Very easy to look at chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by