empordanesas, fayoumis and penedesenca?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Jun 29, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive heard of these to breeds but their isn't lot of info on them. so what is their temperament? are they good layers? and are they hardy? does any one have any experience with these breeds?

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I had some fayoumi hens. They were pretty lively to say the least! Unfortunately they fell victims to one of our local predators.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
  4. SamuelBrungardt

SamuelBrungardt New Egg

Oct 23, 2008
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Several years ago I hatched and reared some Black Penedesencas. This breed is not well suited to close confinement. Compared to breeds that have been selected for their docility, Black Penedesencas are wary, farm-smart chickens that would be very well suited to surviving and thriving in a free-range, even primative environment. The Black Penedesenca, selected for its dual-purpose (meat and eggs) properties, is the heaviest of the 4 Penedesenca varieties (Black, Crele, Partridge, and Wheaten) The Penedesenca and Empordanesa breeds were selected in the 1900s from a remnant landrace of fowl that existed on farms in Catalonia, Spain. There are not a lot of data on the laying ability of the Penedesenca breed, but I would guess it is around 200 dark brown eggs per year. Because the color of the eggs lightens as a Penedesenca hen proceeds through her laying cycle, very dark eggs produced well into the laying season are likely to come from hens that are not the best layers. One other consideration is that Penedesencas have quite large combs that would be prone to freeze in a very cold climate.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Hello- I have breeding flocks of both Partridge & Wheaten Penedesencas. They are elegant birds with beautiful lines, nifty looking blue shanks, and jaw dropping, stunningly dark eggs. Mine are in a LARGE pastured run, but are kept in a smaller run when breeding with no change in their temperament. They forage very efficiently. Penedesencas aren't my friendliest chickens, but do tame down well if you take the time to handle them around their bedtime. Handling as chicks seems to have little influence. My roosters are very gallant to the ladies, and again, while not my "best buddies" are companionable and eat from my hands. My girls have been reliable layers and are always curious about what I am up to. One rooster did suffer some frostbite from our last winter on his comb (we had two weeks of day hovering from around 12-18 degrees F), but none of the hens had problems. I feel these birds are worth keeping and breeding. They also produce really handsome hybrids when bred with other dark layers like Welsummers or Marans. The Maran hybrids are autosexing. So far I have only crossed a Wheaten Pene rooster with Welsummer & Cuckoo Marans hens. Their offspring maintain the plumage of a Welsummer for the former, the plumage of a Black Copper (?) for the latter, and the shape/size of a Penedesence with over 80% having blue shanks. These have been good layers with lighter eggs, though often heavily speckled.

We sell Fayoumi chicks yearly where I work. They are some of the loveliest chicks I have ever seen, with russet coloured heads and dusky speckles over their backs. I have yet to raise any as I don't care for their adult appearance and prefer breeds that are less feral. Even as chicks they seem rather wild natured.

I have no experience with Empordanesas.......

6. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Penedesencas Don't care to be in a coop, they are prolific egg layers [​IMG]

7. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:That was a very enlightening post and explains so much about the young chicks I just acquired. At a month old they are as wild as pheasants or some other wild bird. When you say a "large pastured run", can you please tell me how large and how many adult birds are in it? I need to plan to get these chicks out of the pens I have them in asap. They have already gotten picky with the welsummer and barnevelder chicks in with them once, and I have separated them, but must continue to watch them like a hawk. I'm looking forward to getting to the pleasurable part of this bird ownership experience. Which I am now assuming will be egg gathering time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by