Empty bator syndrome..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookyevilone, Dec 29, 2008.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    It's the middle of winter in MN. It's too cold to ship Serama eggs.

If I keep telling myself this, I won't email anyone asking if they have any available.

Maybe.

I don't need more Coturnix quail. I have no cages for more Coturnix quail. It, however, is now killing me to put the nice, fertile eggs in the fridge or send them to market because my bator only has 6 eggs in it, and as of this weekend, it will be entirely. empty.

Both my button hens are sitting on their nests, one is due to hatch this week, and the other is due to hatch mid-January. No more eggs from them for awhile. The babies, of which hopefully some will be hens, won't be ready to lay for a few months. By then it will be spring.

What. the heck. do. I. do. now?! AUGH!

IS it too cold to ship Seramas? Please say yes. Lie if necessary. Unless the answer really is "No, it's perfectly fine to ship them at this time of year to somewhere with a high of 25F for the next 10 days. And look! I have some available.. " I'm not up on my chicken breeds. Are there any other banties as small as Seramas?

No, I still don't have my silkies. The person I was going to buy them from keeps changing the meeting times, and the other person I'm going to buy them from is an actual breeder for show quality and wants me to come look at the chicks in the spring so I can get a good foundation line and I'm being all sensible about that even though.. empty bator. I don't need silkie eggs. I don't need silkie eggs. I don't..neeed.. silkie..eggs..

It's getting bad enough that I'm tempted to experiment with store bought eggs, just to see if they'd hatch.

Is there a program for this? Or a patch? Fake chicken eggs to help with the withdrawal?

-Spooky

2. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am no help, but I think that you have hatch/chicken fever. [​IMG]

3. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Oh and it is to cold here in Minnesota for those Sermas.

4. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Only if they're outside [​IMG] I have my quail indoors and have an area in the basement being built into a coop for Seramas. They'll go outside in the spring/summer, and winter indoors. I think it's too cold to ship eggs right now, though. (and again, if I keep saying that to myself..)

-Spooky

5. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Do I ever [​IMG] I don't even HAVE chickens yet! I have lots and lots of quail, though.
    -Spooky

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    oh i am having some serious hatching withdrawal as well...please come soon March!
    ~Rebecca

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I understand I got eggs in bator and just today thinking about replacing someo roosters that going to butcher in 12 weeks..My kids all live in Minnesota where about you from..they live in Red Wing and one in Minniapolis.. I use to live there in Red Wing for 30 some years till I moved to Florida..Brrrr to cold for me now..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I am saddened to report to you ladies that there is no cure for this condition except to hatch some eggs. You are both suffering from the dreaded Empty Nest Syndrome. Although more common in women, men also suffer from it too. It is a highly contagious disease, and has sometimes led to the even more contagious disease Fluff Buttitis. Where there is a compelling urge to get day old chicks and raise them up, and fill the empty nest. [​IMG]

9. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Go to the store find some free range eggs and put them in the bator. If they hatch they hatch if not you have kept yourself happy. And you just might get a surprise.

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    How about an experiment just to pacify the hatchaholic syndrome with little chance of success. Fill the bator with lots of those white, or brown, grocery store eggs. Chances are small they will hatch but there will be lots of eggs in the bator to keep it, and you, going until spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by