Empty egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ravencreek, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    ok this is day 21. I had to open the bator to add some water and noticed what LOOKED like a pip. Well I couldn't resist myself so I picked it up to listen. To my surprise the egg was insanely light. I have yet to smell anything rotten so is it possible the egg evaporated? I kept the humidity up and temps were between 100-101. Any ideas?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    It woudnt have pipped itself [​IMG] Eggs lose wieght as the get tword hatching ,
    PS keep youre hands out of the bator [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch:thumbsup

3. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Thats what I thought too. But it feels empty. I also haven't smelled anything rotten and thats a good thing right? I mean if the eggs were no good wouldn't they start to smell? Even if they aren't cracked?

4. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Anyone?

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Did you candle it? I think you should and see if it is empty....maybe it was empty to start with. Has anyone heard of an empty egg being layed?

6. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well it wasn't empty when I put it in. But no I didn't candle. Last day I candled was 14. It wasn't empty or light then.

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Okay weird. I wonder if there is a hole in it....dude that is weird! i have NO idea! ha!

8. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well there is a hole/crack in it....I thought it was a pip. But wouldn't I Smell something? There is no bad smells in the incubator or the actual egg when I put it next to my head to listen. I have been fearing the worst(as I'm sure all newby's do) because my eggs at day 14 had no visible veins but they were mostly black with an air cell. So I thought they could be rotten then I was told I would smell them. Would I still smell something if the eggs are not cracked?

9. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I'm no expert, but I would try to peel the shell around the hole a little bit and wet the membrane to see if anything is moving in there. If there is a moving chick you will have to keep that membrane moist to prevent it from sticking to the chick.

10. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    IMO, leave them alone for a couple of days and watch.....from outside the bator! see if anything happens. if by day 23 or 24 no pips or babies, then do a candling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by