1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Empty shed - are my plans correct

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bridgettesd, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bridgettesd

bridgettesd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Whew, finally the shed is empty and here is the plan. Comments welcome!

1. Install overhead outlet (for heat lamp) and ventiliation fan on switches

2. Cut out 12" x 36" sidewall to install hinged door to access community next box. Insulate door and weather seal with latches. Located 18" up from ground

3. Build plywood community nest box with 8" x 6" opening

3. Install rigid insulation throughout

4. Install luan or thin plywood over insulation.

5. Lay well screens (crushed rock - see pic) on ground.

6. Mix well screens with cement and tamp down to build up floor

Questions:

What else? My floor is 6' wide and 8'3" deep. Where and what roosting spots should I install. Should I install a low roof?
    We plan on 12 or so free range chickens on our 2 acres.

Pics here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/103884904039921795393/ChickenCoop

2. Well, one thing you want are poop boards. these are boards under the roosts so all droppings deposited overnight gather here, instead of the floor. This makes things MUCH easier to clean. You might want to consider making these removable.

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I think it sounds great!
    i would install the roosts on the back, you can use tree limbs as roosts or round bars, or square bars as roosts.
    Good luck!

(i would start on a second coop, this stuff gets pretty addicting [​IMG] )

also, they dont need a heat lamp if you have good ventilation. i would just install a regular light for when you go inside at night.

4. bridgettesd

Jan 1, 2013
    Glad to hear it, thanks for the responses. How high should I put the roost bar and how far from the back? Does putting it very high really lessen the rooster's crow? We have neighbors within earshot.

5. bridgettesd

Jan 1, 2013
    Also, we plan on letting them free range so where and which type of waterers and feeders?

6. coreshot

coreshot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    West Jordan, Utah
    If you are in an area that freezes like me, I would put an electric water heater inside the building for the winter. I have one inside, and two outside, but during the winter the outside ones are a lost cause...I think your plans sound great. My perches are 18-24 inches off the ground, but you have a lot more room to play with so maybe higher. I have a perch across the back of the coop, and another intersecting it six inches lower down the side. My chickens use them both.

7. coreshot

coreshot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    West Jordan, Utah
    Also, I built a couple of the 4 inch PVC feeders that I attached to my run fence. They work great, and hold at least a weeks worth of feed at a time. I just give them a shake when I go out and it fills the bottom back up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by