1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Empty, soft egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mhegge, Oct 19, 2015.

1. mhegge

mhegge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Two days ago our rooster mated one of our hens for the first time so I got excited thinking that maybe they're getting close to laying (all 17 weeks on Thursday). This morning when I went out I found what looked exactly like a flattened egg on the roost bar, like it was empty and just smushed. I know first eggs can be quite different, so is it possible to have had a hen lay a empty soft shell?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It probably wasn't empty when it came out. They may have eaten the contents, which is very common when it comes to chickens and soft eggs. But, my chickens usually eat everything, including any membrane (or shell when I give them intact eggs).

Mice, maybe? That could explain it being flat and on the roost bar. I've found empty eggs or random pieces of shell in some WEIRD places when dealing with mice. Like, on top of the window or door frame and in the rafters :/

Good luck figuring it out!

3. mhegge

Sep 2, 2015
    No mice and no openings on whatever it was. I thought of the eating it too, but wouldn't there be a hole or Crack or something?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Soft or thinshelled(if broken) eggs often get eaten...they don't always clean it up totally tho.

5. mhegge

Sep 2, 2015
    Second soft egg today...they're on their way! This was you could tell opened and was eaten. So two questions....when I put out oyster shells will only the ones who need it eat it and will it hurt if they don't need it? And best way to give a chicken a bath? She has some yolk on her legs and hind feathers. So excited!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes and No.

Unless it is really thick and nasty on the feathers, she'll preen it off herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by