empty spot in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i have a 21 day old chicken egg and somthing is inside the air cell looks good but just below the middle of the eggs there is a like 1cm by 1cm empty spot what do you think that is , do you think the chick is dead??

please help

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    answer me guys

3. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I don't have any idea. I would just wait to see if it hatches.

4. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    You should keep it until day 24 to make sure. The waiting is the hard part. Sorry for no help.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Do you have it out candling it at this late date? You need to keep your hands off and the lid shut during those last 3 days.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There will be slight gaps even when a chick is fully grown. If you candle at just the right angle you can sometimes catch one of those gaps. On day 18 I often shine the light through the air cell because I can usually see little gaps along the air cell with veins where as the rest is dark from the chick's body.

Removing an egg from the incubator after day 18 and before it has hatched can kill the chick. Especially if it hasn't broken the membrane yet. Taking it out of the humidity will dry the membrane and even if it's temporary the chick may end up dying before the membrane is soft enough again to break it. You can also kill all the eggs in the incubator that haven't pipped yet by opening it during hatching and occasionally get some stuck that have pipped by drying them to inside of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by