EMRGENCY! New born baby chick down!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aqhaktberry3, Nov 15, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    we have a newborn baby chick that had to be helped to hatch (taking off the shell and leaving the membrane) inside the incubator and he doesn't look so good. He was picked on at first by the other new borns at something that looks like it could be where his umbilical chord was and started to bleed there. So we took the others out and he's been by himself now since yesterday at around 6. He's stopped bleeding but he seems to be breathing kind of heavy and won't stand on his feet; he's on his back. And we are afraid he is suffering.

Can anyone please help?! We don't know what to do! Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Make sure the incubator is not too hot. There is not much you can do at this point. Either it will get stronger or it wont. It will be ok for 2-3 days with the yolk it absorbed before hatch. Sometimes they are just not strong enough to hatch themselves. I sure hope it perks up for you.

3. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    thanks chickenlady.

and also, we think he might be deformed b/c he can't stand up on his own and keeps falling to one side. [​IMG] anyone else have any advice? please o please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by