Emu baby chronicles :) NEW PIC pg 31!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kristina, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    ok so we decided on a whim that we wanted to try hatching an emu egg well.........this came in saturday it's huge and heavyhe egg to the right is one of our silkie eggs for comparison [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    That's a neat looking egg. Are you going to keep the emu chick? How long do you incubate them.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    OMgosh, I have never seen one. That is unbelievably cool and beautiful!!

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow!! That is one big egg! Will you hatch it like a chicken egg? (Maybe a dumb question!)

5. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    well it takes a different incubation method so it has it's own incubator. It can take up to 55 days to hatch so we won't know till february if we have a chick. [​IMG] But should it be successful and hatch we'll keep it till it is to big for us and we have a local friend with a few acres of land who would want it should it hatch and thrive. [​IMG]

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    ok I have a dumb question - How in the world would you candle that thing LOL

Julie

7. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Not a dumb question at all! From what I've learned you can't candle them.....well I guess if you had a super candler you could? But a few weeks into incubation your supposed to hold them in your hand and if it is fertile it will stay warm in your hands because of the chicks body temp and if its not developing it will cool quickly. Well this is what I learned from my research anyways. [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wow.... thats one grand experiment there.

9. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Man would I LOVE TO TRY THAT...but if it hatched my Papa would kill me or make me give it away to a farm or something before it gets to big.

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I was sooooo close to buying one but we dont have the land for it. Maybe next yr?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by