Emu Beating the heat!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Jun 21, 2011.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are just too stinkin' cute! And those wings are the most adorable things I have ever seen!!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    God, I want one of those SO bad. I just don't know how I'd get away with it on my couple of suburban acres. I get away with a lot now, but something tells me a five foot tall, 80 lb bird that can do 35 mph just would attract too much attention.

OK, I have an assignment for all of you emu folks -- you need to breed the mini emu, something that matures at about the size of a standard turkey, 35-40 lbs and maybe about 3 feet tall. I'll take the first pair!

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Very cute!! [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thats just so cool, thanks for sharing.
    Do you have more than one?

6. Tuppemor

Tuppemor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Norway
    Too cute! They are so silly! [​IMG]
    Can't wait to introduce mine to a bath, I'm sure they will enjoy it as we have a bit of heat here too.

Keep the pics and videos coming! [​IMG]

7. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    okay honestly, emus scare the crap out of me. But everytime i see yours....well,

lets just say i want some now!!!

8. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    LOL, you sure got me laughing. Surely your neighbors would welcome such a fun sight in the community. Have no idea why I'm looking in the Emu section....I have Peafowl. Looking at these pictures has me considering a couple Emu but my husband would probably kick me and all the birds to the curb, haha!!! Looks like they can be fine pets but not sure I'm fast enough to even get out of the way if one were to take off running.

Quote:

9. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    You kill me! I can't stay away from your emu videos! I want one SO bad. ........Maybe some day.

10. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I'd like to have a pair too but have been reading up on them. They can have a good disposition or maybe not so it might take raising a few to get one or two that makes a good pet. I remember talking to a person selling a shed that had an Emu. She'd raised 2 but had to let one go because it was so mean. I love my birds and would be stressed trying to find a good home for an agressive Emu. My husband would want to eat it. )-:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by