Emu Incubation Help (Emu Hatchers Please)

hmlongino

Songster
13 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Fayetteville, GA
Hi!

i’ve hatched countless chickens, ducks, turkey, and guineas,but this is my first time with emu.

I have 5 wiggling eggs at day 53. Two pipped thru the shell yesterday (about 20 hours ago now). They are vocal and working, but seem to be struggling. Should it take a full day or two after breaking through? I don’t want to assist and break the membrane in case vessels aren’t ready, but I don’t want to wait too long, either. Any assistance/advice would be fantastic.
Thanks!
FEDD2D56-49B5-4FED-B985-B5DAC168D538.jpeg

Hi!

i’ve hatched countless chickens, ducks, turkey, and guineas,but this is my first time with emu.

I have 5 wiggling eggs at day 53. Two pipped thru the shell yesterday (about 20 hours ago now). They are vocal and working, but seem to be struggling. Should it take a full day or two after breaking through? I don’t want to assist and break the membrane in case vessels aren’t ready, but I don’t want to wait too long, either. Any assistance/advice would be fantastic.
Thanks!View attachment 2513532
I don't have experience with emus, but thought I'd ask, is your humidity really high?
And can you see any yawning motions?
Emus are awesome! So exciting! Fingers crossed they hatch ok!!!

Thank you! 😊
I made sure not to keep humidity too high, as emus are SO different than all the other poultry I raise in this respect.

I teach 4 separate ag classes, and I really want some good news for them on this hatch! 😊

Thank you! 😊
I made sure not to keep humidity too high, as emus are SO different than all the other poultry I raise in this respect.

I teach 4 separate ag classes, and I really want some good news for them on this hatch! 😊
Ok! I just know it should be higher at lockdown so they don't dry out. What is the humidity currently at?
Hopefully Pyxis chimes in soon. :)
I can't think of anyone else who keeps Emus atm.

Look, as someone with a whole lotta experience hatching (and livestock rearing).... these dinos are a whole different genre of egg-hatching!

When the emu experts show up....
Temp was steady at 97-97.5. The two that have popped were on the tray above the other 3 in the cabinet... I believe the little bit of temp difference explains why those have popped and the others haven’t.

Humidity kept at 30-35.

Currently at beginning of day 53. All are wiggling & alive.
One that pipped shows some bleeding at site on the membrane, which I assume means he should chill and take his time. Looks great in there from what I can see when his beak pushes the membrane.

The other seems to have fast-tracked and is now out. Seems like a typical floppy new chick, only dino sized. 😂 Can’t see navel yet to check on y’all absolution.

If it were any other bird I would have kept temp higher for the last few days, but I kept these guys at 30%.

i don’t help any of my hatches, but these guys are an exception, I’d love advice on when to intervene as to not lose healthy chicks due to my novice emu hatching. 😉

**Update— Looks like some yolk still I absorbed, but hard to tell since he’s still in half of shell. 😣 Navel pics and inside she’ll pics included. Wrapped in damp cloth, but I doubt he’ll stay out with it. Any insight would be great, cause I don’t want to make the mistake of assuming anything with these weirdos. 😂

Thanks!

28FC4903-FD24-4DDF-A808-E68A7A0EF85D.jpeg

Attachments

• 071E7060-C431-493E-9088-2EEAD555027A.jpeg
    071E7060-C431-493E-9088-2EEAD555027A.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 812637E4-2F09-4081-A4EA-BD0A19EFD187.jpeg
    812637E4-2F09-4081-A4EA-BD0A19EFD187.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom