Emu Mystery

ShadowRooster

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
claremont, NH
I have asked tons of peaple what could have happen to my emus. none know. Mabey one of you have an anser to this? Here is the story- still unsolved.

We drove up to our farmstand one morning, stared feeding and cleaning waterers. We get over to theemu pen, and the emus are COVERD in BLOOD. We looked over the emus for....and hour, maby. No scratches. Our emus hatched on may 1st, so they are good size, not full grown. All the chickens that live in the pen are unhurt. Our male emu's side and back was coated with blood. not splatered. Kyeema's beak was coverd in it, like she had been wating what ever. The pen they are in is small, and we saw no blood on the ground, or remians off a dead animal. So..

The emus unhurt ANYWHERE.

NO blood on ground or fence

Blood on side of one and beak of other

Here are some crazy things that peaple have suggested.

They killed a rabbit-sized animal and eat it all (why would Burnu's side be coverd, and would they eat it ALL?)

Kyeema eat somthing sharp and then groomed Burnu's side (We dident look in her mouth.. but i have never seen the groom one another)

Someone threw blood-bloody somthing in the pen ( this is kinda possable, as the emus are locaded at a public place.. no blood on ground, though, and the pen is locked so they would have to do it though fence)

Well, what do you think?

Last edited:
Is it possible that the Emu was bleeding from the nose... I ask this because I had the same thing happen to a horse... There was Blood everywhere a LOT of it and I could find no source... In the days that followed my horse was dripping saliva and I later learned that a endophyte in clover drops Vitamin K and that caused my horse to bleed from the nostrils... Just a thought.

Literature on emus, Just Hatched, says that they eat mice. I've wondered about this for the following reason: my emus don't hold down a small branch with a piece of fruit on it in order to be able to pull the piece of fruit of it. They just have a few ineffectual pecks at it, and give up. So, I doubt that an emu could hold down, entirely dismember, and scoff down a whole rabbit, bones and all.

Next, I've never seen my emus groom each other.

Next, Kyeema's eating something that injured her mouth doesn't account for the injured chickens.

What was the nature of the chickens' injuries?

Supreme Emu

I gess Kyeema could have had a nose beed. The chickens were UNhurt, it was a spelling mistake. There was no blood on the ground, we spent some time looking. If Kyeema had a nose bleed then it was on Burnu compleatly. What would make an emu's nose bleed? Has anyone had an emus nose bleed?
hmm.png

I don't know much about emus but could it have caught a small snake an ate it? It would be easier to hold and eat then a rabbit. And it would look like an overgrown worm.

Last edited:
My guess is that there is or was an actual puncture or laceration on the male bird and the female has been pecking at it.
Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom