Emu nesting experiment.......

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Doodlebug has been laying a little less and 5 eggs that I was holding for someone.......well....they didn't show. They sat in the room for 2 weeks. I've had people begging me for chicks......so I decided to give these to Merlin and see if he'd take them. I couldn't find a nest...they've been moving
it from me....so I made one in the last spot I saw one. Nosy as they are they were right there watching me....Merlin facelit up I swear when he saw them. He eagerly started covering them with leaves. Doodle joined in to. So we will see if they lay any in the new nest and how long it will take. Merlin before he sets them.

The Day The Eggs Came Back

[Several male emus sitting around, clutching glasses of beer in their vestigials.]

Merlin: ‘Well, anyway, this your-eggs-disappear-while-you-are-away-having-a-drink-of-water thing had been going on for bloomin’ years. And then, one particular season, it happens again!! – got five eggs, then suddenly . . . got no eggs!!
Well, what’s a guy gonna do? I mean, how’s he gonna explain it to the missus? – “Yeh, well love. Those eggs, they . . . they just sprouted little forward-articulating leggies right before my eyes, and ran off through a hole in the fence!” ‘

Bloke Emu: ‘Geez, yeh. That’s a hard one! So what happened?’

Merlin: ‘Well, a couple of weeks later, see, out of the corner of my eye, I see the featherless emu sneakin’ around. I always did reckon she had something to do with it all. She’s got this cardboard Twinkies carton under her wing. Then, a little while later, I had to go for a drink, and when I come back, whatta ya know!! Five eggs just sitting on the ground!! Well, I hooked right in; scraped a few leaves together to make a nest; and put the feathers to the carapace right off the bat. Good feelin’!!’

Other Bloke Emu: ‘Yeh, it’s a good feelin’ all right, to have a few big round greenies warm underneath. A bloke's just not a bloke without a few big greenies to sit on!!'

Last edited:
Mrs. Doodlebug laid an egg in another nest last night.....not surprising as she's not the brightest Emu I know. I put 2 older eggs in my nest and took the new one.....as I have.someone waiting on some. Both Merlin and Doodle examined my nest and eggs....then started covering them up.....so well see where the next egg is laid.

Back
Top Bottom