Emu transport question.

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by stoo, Sep 15, 2010.

1. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    What's the proper way to transport adult Emus? It's a breeding pair around 6 years old. I have a horse trailer, but want to know how Emu folks normally transport their birds from one location to another.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I use a horse trailer. You want to make sure they can't see out, stick their heads out... and that the back of the trailer goes up to the top, as they can jump out over the back gate if it's too low.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I saw a show "Dirtiest Jobs" with Mike...they rounded up Emus in horse trailers, they used a long black(very dark sock) placed over the head...then they just guided them into the trailer..Nothing to it...(They did make it look very easy, I guess the trick would be getting the sock on their heads).

4. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Yes, indeed, the trick would be to get the sock on their head!!!

Supreme Emu

5. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Thanks folks. Horse trailer was my guess, but I wanted to make sure. Luckily mine has the ability to close the entire back. [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have a slant load stock trailer. i put horse blankets over the sides and back so they couldn't stick their heads out. I had one stick a head out while transporting once and scratched it's cornea. If you'rs is closed in you should be good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by