** Emu with a bad eye what to do**

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by 66vette, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 66vette

66vette Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I have to emu chicks that are about 7 weeks old ?well about a week ago I started to noteest that one of them had a red eye so I put some med' on it.and then the next day the other eye was red like it was blood on it? so I moved one to the burn and I have had it down there for about 1 week? and the eye on the other one is starting to look alot better but it's not 100 % better yet? so I was thanking I would take her down to be with the other one today and put them togater but he started picking at the eye again and it had alittle blood on it so I went and moved her back? and put some more med' on it? why does this happen I know I may have should have waited untell it got 100% better before I put her back with him? so I am hopeing it gets better soon? has anyone know anything about this? I have hered that I need to let her eye heal up all the way before I put her back with him? so thast what I am going to do. but I do not unstand why they do this?/

Thanks and you guys on here are great all and I really like this site..

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They just do....anything shiny....and an eyeball is shiny....they will peck at.....just an Emu thing.

3. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    do they have pinless peepers for emu? I never realized they peck at things like chickens. Maybe she could wear goggles.

5. 66vette

Nov 18, 2012
    Hay I was thanking about inveting that one? thats I ggod idel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by