Emu's are Hatching-help/advise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sue2013, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Sue2013

Sue2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    I set 4 eggs dec 2..1 has hatched, cute and healthy, egg 2 is struggling and seems dry( the white membrane is seperated from shell and dried to him, he started sometime in the middle of last night..Any suggestions/advise

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You know I've yet to hatch an emu egg, but I guess the hatching basics are the same for them and chickens? Here's an excellent article on assisted hatches (for chickens), that I think will help you:

Guide to ASSISTED Hatching

In the meantime, get that membrane wet again. Use a wet q-tip or your fingers if they're clean [​IMG] otherwise the little one's not going to get out and have a look through the notes in the article. If everything seems right help the little out. Good luck!

3. Sue2013

Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you, i will look at that now..Ive assisted chickens before, and also have lost one doing it, it was terrible..I hate to disturb it but so worried he;s not going to make it..They are still in the incubator to hatch (not turning) as i didnt want to open and disrupt the humidity. Ive read so many different things as far as raising/lowering humidity and temp for hatching. I wonder if it would be better to take him out to finish?

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] oh how interesting!! I would so love to try to hatch them too!!! COOL!!

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    do you have a pic? Also I think its best to assume that the absorbtion of the yolk will take much longer than a chicken as geese and ducks also take longer to hatch.... have you got a pic so we can see where your at with them??? you have external pips? when did you notice these pips? do you have zipping?

6. Sue2013

Jan 21, 2013
    That is a Great article.very good advise....thank you again...Ive tried to take pics however the glass door is reflecting the flash.Noticed the external pips this morning..One was already hatched.I think that ill wait a while longer and monitor his progress..he has now broken out a good 1" diameter of shell, the membrane seems to be dried white on one side more than the other not tanned like the description in the article, hard to make a clear judgement, I am so nerviously excited lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OMG I would be estatic!!! Doing great!!! just dont rush things.... if they can breath they are good!!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

9. Sue2013

Jan 21, 2013
    I posted pics but it didnt work....I wet membrane with qtip...so its hard to see that its dried on...Im just going to leave it alone for now....1 baby tho :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    he is soooo cute OMG!

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    just go slow!! CONGRATS adorable!! ok where do we find those eggs??? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by