Enable me! Think this will work for grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jan 25, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Enable me in my quest to become a farm hermit. I love being home, I hate going to town.

I am trying to prepare for my one broody that is due to hatch her chicks this week and my other broodies that still have a ways to go.

The supplies I need to pick up - another chick waterer, two chick feeders, a couple bales of pine shavings, some flockraiser, some oyster shell and some grit. All these things are available locally, except the grit. For the grit I would need to travel an hour.

I don't normally have a use for grit, since my birds all free range, but I need to offer some to my stubborn broodies that are refusing to go outside.

I have identified a spot in our long driveway where there is small pieces of granite, still there from the last time the county graded our road. It's in a section of our road that rarely sees vehicle traffic.

I want to screen this, to get the smallest pieces out to offer to my broodies. That'll do for now, right? Next week I have to travel to the city for a dr.'s appt anyhow and can pick up some grit then.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Yep, it should be fine-that's basically what they pick up when they're out free ranging anyway.
    I'm with you-I need to go to town(have needed to for days) but I want everything delivered...
    Do you have some Chick Starter?

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

When my chicks were small, they completely ignored the purchased grit i had gotten them and went after all my landscaping materials (ground pea gravel, landscape sand and etc. ) it never hurt them. I dont' know that it was the best for them necessarily, but it's what they did, with no ill results. They are happy adults today. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sheila, since they are going to be in the coop with the rest of the flock I am going to feed flockraiser instead of chick starter. The only chick starter I can find anywhere around here (including in the bigger towns) is medicated. I don't want the rest of the flock eating the medicated, so flockraiser it will be. I have dispensers filled with oyster shell in both coops anyhow.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That'll work-just didn't want you to have to go back to town in case you forgot baby chick feed. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Honestly..My birds have NEVER touched their bowl of grit in their coop...
    Same bowl of grit there for 3 yrs now....

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That would be the same thing here Red, except the broodies are eating a grain mix right now (instead of layer feed) and they are confined to their crates, so I have to offer them something.
    I need to start offering it to the meaties too, since they don't peck around outside as much as I'd like them to.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Maybe you could even add some of the tiny rocks you mentioned getting from your drive-way, right to their feed?? If they wont take it out of the bowl...

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sometimes I see a girl down the road from me out in her driveway picking out small rocks for grit for her waterfowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by