Enamoring the Neighbors to the idea of Chickies?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by CompostQueen, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Do any of you have any advice/tips on how to talk to the neighbors about having chickens as neighbors? Should a home baked sweet be involved?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes bribes are always good. And the facts about having backyard chickens.

Imp

3. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    If you are planning on only getting laying hens I would definitely mention that you are not getting any roosters because you care about their peace. Also, let them know that chickens are excellent at keeping bug populations down. You can also mention that free range/organic eggs go for upwards of $8/doz (at least in CA they do) and that you would be willing to give them a dozen for free and then for only $2/doz after that (just suggested prices). If you get enough eggs you might take them a dozen every now and then.

4. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Excellent advice- Thank you! [​IMG]

I have approached 4 of the 6 neighbors who I need to talk to (including the two I was most worried about). They were AWESOME... totally accepting. [​IMG]

The other 2 were not home I will try again tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by