enclosed chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PerryChick67, Apr 17, 2012.

1. PerryChick67

PerryChick67 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Hi. We are building a coop and enclosed yard (run) for 6 hens. Is an enclosed 6 ft x 12 ft. yard attached to the coop plus space available under the coop (which is 8 ft x 4 ft) adequate for the hens to have? I plan to also let them roam the back yard but only when I am out there to supervise them/ensure their safety, so for the most part, they will be in the enclosed space. Thanks for the advice.

2. Tweakster

Tweakster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    Sounds nice! Any chance you could post some pictures?

3. PerryChick67

Mar 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. PerryChick67

Mar 5, 2012
    Anyone know if it is necessary to enclose the top of a chicken yard? I have seen most chicken coops/yards around here (mid central PA) do not have the top enclosed, just a fence around it. But, most I see on line have the top enclosed as well. Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Many cover the top on run to protect chickens from hawks, great horned owls, cats, etc

6. PerryChick67

Mar 5, 2012
    i have posted pictures of our coop and it's progress. You can find on my photo albums on my profile. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by