Enclosed metal carport as duck house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dark Angel, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Moving my flock, and wanting to set up a new duck house. I was thinking a wooden building 12 x 12 atleast. Hubby is thinking an enclosed metal carport with a roll up door. Anybody use a carport for shelter? I would be putting smaller doghouses, or enclosures for them to sleep in. Wasn't sure about ventilation on it, and if it would be good in the winter. I'm in NC, hardly ever snows, but it gets low teens. Will it hold their body heat in? Any suggestions, or advice is welcome, thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Metal won't hold in heat. And especially if it is not well ventilated, changes in weather could cause it to get really wet inside as water vapor condenses.

I hope if anyone has successfully used one, they can check in and tell us what modifications they made to make it work.

Any shelter will need to be predator resistant. Raccoons are stronger than some realize, and can bend thin sheet metal, and will reach through a one inch gap to pull a duck through, piece by piece.

Some predators will dig under a structure - so some kind of base that prevents that will be needed as well.

Openings need to be covered with half inch metal hardware cloth, securely fastened.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your carport would be fine as long as you provide insulated dog houses with straw to sleep in...Venting it will be needed...
    Predator proof it and your Ducks will be fine...

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  4. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    You could use the carport as the overall shelter, but there might still be a smaller "duckhouse" within the larger carport. You could use this on days when the weather is really bad outside or if you need to give them extra warmth from really cold days, since you can create a stronger, insulated shelter with this smaller house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by