encourage a hen to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hchorselover, Nov 20, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    We are trying to hatch some eggs but our hens won't sit on the eggs [​IMG] Is there any possible way to encourage them to go broody?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Nope. Some people say you can stick them in a small dark/dim box and force them to set, but I don't buy it. Going broody is hormonal and they do it when their bodies tell them to. Some breeds are much more likely to go broody and spring and summer is prime time though some hens don't seem to care if there is 6" of snow on the ground or not.

What breed(s) do you have and how old are they?

3. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm not sure what breed they are (I think that they are a mix of something) but here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

we got them when they were just starting to lay in march so about a year (guessing) but if they don't go broody then we could always just buy some eggs (we just don't want to deal with them in the house again haha)

4. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I too wondered this. We have no rooster and I hear that helps. I have six hens and none have ever gone broody. I have always had to raise the chicks myself! This last batch are a week old and will live inside with us until they are ready to go out to the coop...but then I will have about a month of doing the "integration thing". It would be great to have one of our hens do this for me [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

My suddenly-broody AliceAnn would be happy to hatch some for you!
    We have no roos and she has it in her head it is time for chicks [​IMG]
    She was my best layer, and is just about to have to go to broody-jail...
    I am praying some fertilized eggs turn up in the next day or so, miraculously [​IMG] ... so is she, as I have even taken her golf balls away [​IMG]

Bright Blessings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by