encourage broodiness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by khawks, Aug 2, 2014.

1. khawks

khawks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    I purchased a laying silkie 2 weeks ago from a friend. she has laid 2 eggs since. My friend collected 11 fertile eggs and I have put them in with the others. I've placed water and food and enclosed the hen in a 2x4 foot enclosure that is dark and surrounded on 3 sides (kind of like a dog house). Any other suggestions to encourage broodiness? How long before I should give up?

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    That's the best method I've found since keeping chickens. Except I would use fake eggs so you don't have to waste them while you're waiting on her to go broody. I would think it shouldn't be long until they take to the eggs since they're silkies. Good luck!

ETA: sorry I missed that you enclosed the hen in the cage... I've never done that before, but leaving a big clutch of (fake) eggs in the nests can encourage them to set. It has worked for me several times.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. khawks

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    Thank you for your reply. for the last week, I've had 3 golf balls in there and she is still not interested. I'll leave here in there for 3 days and if no luck, then i'll just have to give the eggs back to my friend to put under one of her broodies [​IMG]

4. khawks

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    Thank you for your reply. for the last week, I've had 3 golf balls in there and she is still not interested. I'll leave here in there for 3 days and if no luck, then i'll just have to give the eggs back to my friend to put under one of her broodies [​IMG]

5. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    What I did was go to the grocery store and got just regular eating eggs I got 18 I think but since you have a silkie I would only get a dozen. So get the eggs and than warm them to room tempature and than put them in the nest. Works like a charm, since it's such a big clutch, than after sitting in those eggs for about a week and you are certain she's fully broody than take those eggs throw them out and than put your fertile eggs in

6. khawks

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    I have 9 more days of fertility in these eggs...if the temperature stays down like it has been...i think i'll wait 4 more days and if she hasn't gone broody then i'll return the eggs so they don't go to waste and she can put them under one of her broodies. I think that you present an excellent idea that i should try next time. thank you

7. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    No problem :) keep us updated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by