Encourage egg laying in nest boxes!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harryojwright, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Harryojwright

Harryojwright New Egg

May 1, 2011
    my chickens are laying outside near a tree, how do i get them to lay in the nest boxes!!!

2. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    I am fairly new at this but have been having the same issues. I was instructed to keep my girls locked up longer into the day. It took me 3 days keeping them locked up till 2 pm to get them to understand they had to lay in the house. We havent gotten into the nest boxes yet but getting closer! [​IMG] good luck!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    keep them locked in a bit longer, till at least 11/noonish. Place golf balls in the nesting boxes, I also put a "privacy" curtain in front of my boxes, no issues now.
    I had to do the lock down thing 3 times...after finding eggs all over the place, I think they got it now! They all use the same box, but it seems to have been
    the best advice.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Fake wooden eggs in the nest boxes will help. Most chickens prefer to lay where there are other eggs, because it's "obvously" a safe place (as attested to by the "egg" already there. Containing them to the coop/run for a few days to get them started can help too.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Fake wooden eggs in the nest boxes will help. Most chickens prefer to lay where there are other eggs, because it's "obvously" a safe place (as attested to by the "egg" already there. Containing them to the coop/run until late afternoon can help too.

6. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Yup, I did what everyone else did and it worked beautifully!

I googled my question and found an article that said that chickens tend to lay in the beginning of the day and to leave them in there coop until late morning. I leave my girls in their coop until about noonish, at least and to no fail, I have been getting eggs EVERYDAY in the nesting boxes! YAY! My Lacy, has only been laying now for about 2 weeks (she is a red star or red sex-link) so I was very surprised to see that she is laying everyday like that! Im so proud of her!
    I also read a couple of other things.... You can try the ake eggs, like everyone has suggested AND I read awhile back that if the boxes are too big that they may shun away from them. Now, like I said, this is what I have read and dont know the truth behind it BUT I can say that keeping them in their coop longer, helped me and I hope it helps you! Good Luck!!!!!

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I got fake ceramic eggs from a seller on eBay. They are so realistic that I finally had to get a Sharpie and write FAKE on them so I'd know which eggs to take out of the nest box. [​IMG] They did a great job of showing the hens where to lay. We've only had three eggs laid elsewhere - and that was when they first started laying. Now they know where to go - but I keep the fake eggs in the nest box anyway. I think the fake eggs keep them from trying to eat real eggs, too. They tried pecking the fake eggs at first - quickly learned it didn't work. So we don't have any trouble with pecked eggs - and so far only had one egg with a crack in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by