Encourage feather growth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigSoftee, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BigSoftee

BigSoftee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Pfafftown, NC
    I have a few hens that are low on feathers - I know it's from my Roo's - and I'm working on that part of the problem. In the meantime does anyone know a way to encourage feather growth?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Feathers are made primarily of protein, so you could offer supplemental protein. Some people offer gamebird crumbles or cat food.

3. BigSoftee

BigSoftee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Pfafftown, NC
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have a half bag of starter/grower for the peeps that recently hatched, maybe I will start mixing that in with their regular food for added protien. I'm going to look and see if I can find some high protien dry supplement.

Chris

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Oily seeds such as sunflower, safflower and flax are also a help. Cook up some cheap meat and they will love you for it; divide up a can of fish (tuna or mackerel or salmon or ...) (just watch sodium content)

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Boiled eggs, or scrambled eggs are a good source of protein. Adding vitamins, or use PolyViSol (Enfamil brand childrens vitamin drops) withOUT iron individually (3 or 4 drops in beak daily), are also helpful.

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    wheat also helps the feathers grow......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by