Encouragement for impatient egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Juliechickens, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I was where you are a month or so ago. Waiting and waiting for that first egg. My hens were 8-9 months old some of them! Where were my eggs??? I knew they were hens so what's the deal. I was starting to think I had incompetent hens. THEN, one day, my first egg came. I got one egg a day out of about 17 hens for 2 weeks. I didn't care, one egg is better than no egg! Next thing I know,,,2 eggs a day. Now 1 month later, I get 10 eggs a day! Once they start,,they really start! My fridge is egg infested now. I'm afraid one will roll out every time I open the door. I just wanted to tell others who sound so down that their day will come too then they will not know what to do with so many. Even if I had only 1 hen who laid,,,that would be PLENTY of eggs! HANG IN THERE! The hen will lay when she's ready! Good luck! Julie

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Thank you for the encouragement!
    I can't wait for my girls to start laying, but they're 18 weeks old and they still have tiny pink combs....so maybe I'll get eggs by spring. (like April or May!) [​IMG]

3. islandchick

islandchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Oak Island, NC
    CRAZY, we have 4 hens, all the same age. The 2 RIR's started laying in September, one of the Americauna/EE's started at 27 weeks old October and YESTERDAY the other Americauna/EE, Spike, layed her 1st egg at 35 weeks old [​IMG] !! Probably our fault for naming her Spike...They lay the prettiest green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by