Encouragement for New Hand Quilters! My VERY First Quilted Item (humiliating myself here, LOL)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Feb 2, 2012.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

For those of you who think you'll never get the hang of hand quilting stitches, I came across my very, very first ever quilted item, a pillow cover, all hand pieced, then quilted by hand. I remember how I thought I could never get those tiny even stitches I was supposed to be doing. This was made way back in the mid-1980's when we were stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. I then made my older son a quilt for his twin bed with the same blocks, though the quilting quickly became better with practice.

Here is my first attempt at hand quilting in the 80's, a Churn Dash block-remember, I did not even really know how to sew when I started quilting, so be kind!
    [​IMG]

Today's stitches are much improved, though I do piece by machine now-however, I've only done that for the last couple of years, since being gifted my awesome Brother 6000i by the BYC staff. Here is my current project in progress with closeups of my stitches:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My stitches are not as good as they used to be in my best days, however, since developing carpal tunnel symptoms, alternating tingly then numb fingers, and deteriorating eyesight, but I still think I do a pretty mean quilt stitch. I'm not giving up, no matter what! I once was accused of machine quilting a baby quilt when I didn't even own a machine and I doubt I'd ever be accused of that again.

So, see, guys? You can do it! Even if your results aren't great at first, practice really does make (near) perfect!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    very nice. I'd have said that was machine work! But by hand, wow!

[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

You are too sweet! Thank you! I am going to learn to free motion quilt on my home machine this year, though, at least for the small projects, just to be able to turn out more work. I still love the satisfaction of hand quilting and doing a good job with it, plus I like the look better.

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Cyn, a true work of art!!! I would be ecstatic if I sewed by machine as well as your first attempt!!!

5. speckledhen

My first quilted block looks like a Walmart quilt made in China (or wherever), LOL! It's sad that people will pay for those and don't realize how shoddy the quality is on the stitching, the fabric and the batting they use. They don't hold up to multiple machine washings while mine will.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Thanks for that Cyn! Great improvement. Maybe there is hope for me yet [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Of course, anyone can do it, Laura. I can't sew worth a darn, but to me, this is art, not sewing, if that makes sense.

I need to finish this wallhanging, but the weather is like spring outside and I can't settle down inside while there is sunshine and warm air outside! I'll wait till after dark to continue. It's still winter, though, so cold air will return; it's a given! There will be plenty of time to do lots more quilting before the days are warm permanently.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Look how nice and even your stitches were on the first one. It looks great!

I admire your teeny tiny stitches. That takes alot of talent to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing!

9. speckledhen

Thank you, Kathy. Sometimes, though, I envy your big commercial machine. Would make things so much faster!

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Your hand stitches are lovely, Cynthia. Not something you get good at quickly. My quilting gf that I had worked so hard get those tiny stitches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by