Encouraging a broody chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDOGG331, Apr 3, 2017.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I'm assuming it's not possible to "make" or "force" a chicken to go broody but are there ways to encourage it?

I've been thinking about maybe hatching some chicks or buying a few more, preferably hatching, just for fun and the experience. I was going to get an incubator but since I'm getting a camera for my birthday and incubators are expensive, I've decided to just rely on the mercy of my chickens and hope for a broody hen LOL

Soooo how do I encourage it?

I had one got broody in the fall but I broke her after a few days (I thought she'd give up on her own) so I'm hoping I can get one to go broody again? That was pretty young too since I only got them fall 2015.

I should note I'm not in any hurry to have a broody hen or hatch, if I don't get one or hatch anything, I'll be fine. I just think it would be so cool to go through the whole incubating and hatching process and everything, although I guess I'd be able to see the process and growth better in an incubator with candling?

I also want to add a few breeds too. But if there's not room, I'll gladly sell the chicks, I mostly just want the experience.

Anyway, sorry for rambling haha but basically, long story short, is there a way I can encourage broodiness? Maybe fake eggs in the boxes? Although I'm not sure that would work cause just yesterday I collected 25 eggs that I'd forgotten to collect for a few days, and I've done that before and no one has gone broody as of yet....

Yet when I didn't collect in the fall, she would jump on it.

Maybe it's just not time yet?

I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. The one that went broody was one of the Orpingtons. They came from Meyer Hatchery if that matters.

I might wait until I move them to the new coop, maybe the nice big dark boxes will encourage them :lau

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience, it happens when it happens. It is very likely that the hen that went broody last year will repeat. You might try leaving 2 or 3 nest eggs in one of the nest boxes. Some feel that the 'building' of a clutch may encourage a hen to go broody. Good luck. A broody with chicks is fun to watch.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks sour, good to know she might possibly go broody again! I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by