1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Encouraging a silkie to go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asdf58000, Mar 21, 2015.

1. asdf58000

asdf58000 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    I have two silkie hens and a silkie roo who live with 3 RIR, 1 New Hampshire, 1 Sex Link, and 2 Ameraucana bantams . I really want my silkies to go broody so I don't have to buy an incubator from Orschelns. One of my silkies is tiny but feisty, if I could bet on who'd go broody, I'd choose her. How can I encourage her to go broody? I Get my paycheck next week and I'm either gonna spend it on a $120 incubator, or build a separate coop for my silkies. Any suggestions?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    There is no way to cause birds to go broody, it is a hormonal change that either happens or doesn't. The good news is that with Silkies, it often does. And when one goes the other is likely to as well - somehow they seem to share that particular inclination.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Just be patient. Once they start, they seem to go every three months or so. You could try keeping some fake eggs in one nest. That seems to be all that it really takes many times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by