Encouraging broodiness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknaddict, Oct 30, 2009.

1. chknaddict

chknaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    OK, newbie question here. I've hatched eggs once before, in an incubator. These were eggs I bought from someone else. Now my rooster is finally doing his thing and our eggs are fertile (checked some for the "bulls-eye" shape). We still have the incubator but would like to let one of the hens hatch some out. If we leave eggs in the nestbox for a few days, would that encourage broodiness? Or does it just happen spontaneously? Our hens (actually pullets, I guess) range in age from 6.5 to 10.5 months. We've had a couple who seem to like to sit on eggs besides when they lay them, but I haven't thought they were really broody because they didn't get mean when we took the eggs and would eventually get up after we did so.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have 10 nests, and I leave a fake egg in each one. None of mine have ever (yet) decided to become broody. Of course they are young, 25 weeks.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Hens are either broody or they aren't. When they are, it is hard to convince them to do anything other than keep eggs warm.

Your girls are young. Also, some breeds go broody more often than others. Sounds like you might have to wait until spring. Probably wouldn't hurt. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I haven't heard any real ideas to encourage a hen to go broody, I don't think it can be done. You can however do things to break a broody hens behavior.

AL

5. chknaddict

chknaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. We went ahead and put the eggs in the incubator yesterday since no one appears broody (even the older girls).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by