Encouraging broodiness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickiemom48, Mar 10, 2014.

1. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Want to try getting a few babies this year. Would like to try natural way first. My book says they need a clutch of about 8 eggs before they sit and to use plastic eggs to get them started. I tried last week to put 3 of their eggs into a very fluffy nest, hoping somebody would sit on them, but when I came out later they were gone. Any suggestions on this? Clueless new mom.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure what you are asking. Is it about getting a hen to go broody or is it about the eggs disappearing?

If you are talking about getting a hen to go broody, I’ve tried that a couple of times and it did not work. Added a fake egg a day until I had a dozen, then left them for a couple of weeks. Some people are convinced it does work. Hens go broody because of hormones. Some hens, especially production breeds, have had a lot of the broodiness bred out of them. This is just my opinion, but I think if you have a hen thinking about going broody it might help, but it has to be in the nest she uses. If she is not thinking about it, I don’t think it helps. I’ve had hens go broody with no eggs in the nest.

If those eggs disappeared you need to figure out why. A hen can’t hatch eggs if something is taking them.

3. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    I was wondering mostly about the broodiness. I think the hens are eating their own eggs. They have done it before. Not sure exactly why. Their feed is the highest protein content, they have fresh water, and I use the osyter shell in their feed. Not sure if it is behavioral or if there is a fixable reason for it. Maybe it was because I relocated the eggs from the floor to a nester box? I will try the fake eggs in the corner where they like to lay. Thanks for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by