Encouraging Broodyness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jashdon, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    I was wondering if there are things you can do to encourage broodyness. Eventually I would like to seperate our French Marans out from the flock and have them hatch some chicks but the hens have never really showed any interest in sitting on eggs. Anyone have any tricks?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Just let the eggs pile up in a nest. How old are the marans? Sometimes I find they have to be a couple of years old before they seem to take an enterest in setting

3. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    They are young, they just started laying. I was wondering if that might be an issue but we have another black minorca x americana that went broody after laying her first few eggs.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Some say you can "make" a hen go broody, but I've never heard of any real success stories. (Maybe someone here has tried.) One of my friends tried, by putting a hen in a secluded darkened dog cage with a clutch of eggs she wanted hatched. While the hen sat on them, she wasn't truly broody, and left the nest unattended for too many long periods of time. My friend ended up putting the hen back in with the rest of the flock and hatching the eggs in her incubator.

I personally break a broody hen under 1 year of age, as they are usually trying to get into the "lay an egg" groove and don't need the extra stress of raising chicks. Our Jersey Black Giant started laying at 5 months and went broody at 6 months and at 8 months. We didn't let her stay broody and hatch a clutch until after she was 1 year old.

Remember that TRUE broodiness is a hormonal change that the hen goes through. She has no control over it. Being broody is very stressful on the hen, especially if they are young or not in excellent health.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks for the info. We did our best to break our young minorca x americana but it took about a week of kicking her off the nest and locking her out of the coop. She was very determined!

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    you could always separate them for breeding purposes and stick the eggs you want hatched under whatever broody you have at the time.

7. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Yeah, that is a good idea. We did that with our last broody hen, we just started throwing eggs under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by