Encouraging egg laying.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdman4259, Oct 15, 2014.

1. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Is there a way to encourage my Khakis to start laying. I have 6 khakis one indian runner and a rouen. All ducks are just over 6 mths. Is this still too early to expect eggs? If they are old enough is there anything that will help get them started. They are fed a layer crumb along with a 5 grain scratch. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. Sandy.

2. Carollynn

Carollynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    I am in the same boat as you. I have 4 ducks. I get one egg? Everyone is over 6 months.

3. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    I've had my two ducks for about three weeks now, and the female hadn't laid since we got her. I read that you can put dummy eggs in with the ducks to encourage laying. Last night, I placed three golf balls in the pen where she's been bedding down. When they came in for the night, she tucked them underneath herself and flopped down. This morning, I found her first egg since we've had her. Maybe that could work for you? I've heard you can also use hard boiled eggs or sand filled plastic Easter eggs as dummy eggs.

~PW

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I kind of had a similar question for first-time layers. I have a call duck, who are the worst layers on 'em all, but they do start laying around 4 months. Welp, she's 17 weeks now, but since the breeding season is long gone for calls, I don't know if she's gonna lay now, or not start until next year. Any call duck owners that can weigh in on this?

5. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    That's a good idea. I will try that. Thanks for the response everyone.

6. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    With calls and other bantams, it takes much longer before they start. Your call will probably lay her first egg next spring. As far as I know, mallards are the only bantam that lays throughout the year, though only domestic mallards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by